The gift season is coming along with the end of the year when summaries are made and literary world isn’t different in this respect. We decided to present the Best Books of 2012 which won literary prizes and we're sure everyone can find somehing accurate - pick your next read which will be perfect as a book gift as well :-)
2012 BEST BOOKS - AWARDED READS
For Those Loving Good FICTION
- The Round House by Louise Erdrich - a winner of National Book Award in Fiction.
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - a winner of Orange Prize in Fiction for best women's writing.
- Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel - The Man Booker Prize winning book.
- How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O', Neal - RITA Award winner for novel with romantic elements.
- Learning to Swim by Sara J. Henry - Mary Higgins Clark Award winner.
- There was no Pulitzer Prize for Literature this year.
For Those Appreciating Broad Scope of NONFICTION
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo - the winner of National Book Award in Nonfiction.
- Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard - the winner of Edgar in Best Fact Crime category.
- On Conan Doyle by Michael Dirda-the winner of Edgar in Best Critical / Biographical Work.
- The View from Lazy Point by Carl Safina - Orion Book Award winner for being a book that addresses the human relationship with the natural world in a fresh, thought provoking, and engaging manner.
- Private Empire by Steve Coll - Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award winner.
- Malcolm X by Manning Marable - the winner of Pulitzer Prize in History.
- George F. Kennan by John Lewis Gaddis - the winner of Pulitzer Prize in Biography / Autobiography.
- Evaporating Genres by Gary K. Wolfe - Locus Award winner in Nonfiction.
For SCI-FI and FANTASY Lovers
- The Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin - the winner of Nebula Award.
- Among Others by John H. Walton - the winner of Hugo Award.
- Embassytown by China Mieville - science fiction Locus Award winner.
- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin - fantasy Locus Award winner.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - winner of Locus Award for first novel.
- Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison - winner of RITA award in paranormal romance.
For Those Having MYSTERIES & SUSPENSE in Minds
- Gone by Mo Hayder - the winner of Edgar as best novel in 2012.
- Bent Road by Lori Roy - the winner of Edgar Award for best first novel.
- The Company Man by Robert Jackson Bennett - the winner of Edgar Award for best paperback original.
- New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb - the winner of RITA Award in romantic suspense.
- The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly - the winner of Harper Lee prize for legal fiction.
For YOUNG ADULTS
- Goblin Secrets by William Alexander - young people's literature National Book Award winner.
- The Silence of Murder by Dandi Daley Mackall - the winner of Edgar in Young Adult.
- Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby - the winner of Edgar in Jouvenile.
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente - the winner of YA Locus Award.
- Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley - the winner of Michael L. Printz Award.
- Enclave by Ann Aguirre - the winner of RITA Award in YA Romance.
For POETIC Souls
- Bewilderment: New Poems and Translations by David Ferry - the winner of Poetry National Book Award.
- Water by the Spoonful by Quiara Alegria Hudes - the winner of Pulitzer Prize in Drama.
- Life on Mars: Poems by Tracy K. Smith - the winner of Pulitzer Prize in Poetry.