The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling

Let me get my negatives about this story over with first...  Too much profanity.  It's not an exaggeration to say that it is prevalent on almost every page of this book.  Reading obscenities over and over is not appealing to me, so that made slogging through this tale even more of a chore.  I really believe the story could have been told with out it.  Secondly, I need someone to root for/care about.  The only redeeming person here is the dead guy.  In a large cast of characters, I did not like any one. Now for the postives... It is a compliment of the highest order to the author that she could write something so completely different from the beloved Harry Potter series. There are many authors who just insert different names into the same storyline and call it new. That is not the case here at all.  So bravo to Ms. Rowling for that.  And I did like the little glimmers of hope in the final pages; that perhaps Pagford and its remaining residents might just see some changes for the better.  And with that I bid adieu to and let the sun set on this book that I had looked forward to with great anticipation, but in the end was a disappointment.